Ticketmatic supports deep integration with e-mail marketing tools like MailChimp, Campaign Monitor or other tools.
Once activated, Ticketmatic will provide a 2-way sync between the Ticketmatic Contacts and the e-mail marketing tool subscribers. This means that:
- new subscribers in the e-mail marketing tool will automatically be linked to a Contact in Ticketmatic. Either a new contact will be created or an existing contact will be linked, based on the e-mail address.
- Modifications to the firstname, lastname or subscription status for a contact in Ticketmatic will be automatically applied to the linked subscriber in the e-mail marketing tool. New Ticketmatic contacts that have an active subscription status will be created as subscriber in the e-mail marketing tool
The e-mail marketing tool can be used to send e-mails to custom selections of Ticketmatic contacts: using the powerful filtering possibilities of Ticketmatic you create a selection in Ticketmatic and send it to the e-mail marketing tool.
Feedback on which marketing e-mails were sent to which subscribers is stored in Ticketmatic, so you can see the e-mails an individual contact has received or use this information in future selections.
The integration with the e-mail marketing tools is provided through a connector. Ticketmatic provides out-of-the-box connectors for MailChimp and Campaign Monitor. Developers can write their own connector for linking to other e-mail marketing tools. More information on creating a custom connector
Setting up the integration
Depending on the type of integration you need to do the following:
To setup an integration with MailChimp two things are needed: A MailChimp API key and a MailChimp list ID. To acquire these, execute the following steps:
- Create a MailChimp account
- Create an API key inside MailChimp
- Go to your profile by opening the menu on the top right and clicking Profile.
- Go to Extras -> API keys
- Click on “Create A Key”
- A new API key will be generated. If you want you can set a label (for example Ticketmatic).
- This API key will need to be filled in when you setup the integration with MailChimp inside Ticketmatic.
- Setup a new list and find the list id
- Go to Lists (in the top bar)
- Create a new list by clicking “Create list” on the top right.
- Fill in the necessary details to create the new list.
- With the list open, click on Settings -> List name and defaults.
- In this screen, find the List ID (see screenshot). This list ID will need to be filled in when you setup the integration with MailChimp inside Ticketmatic.
- Now go to the E-mail marketing module in the Settings app and select
- Fill in the MailChimp API key and a MailChimp list ID
When the integration is set up, an initial synchronization between Ticketmatic and the e-mail marketing tool will be started. Mind that this initial synchronization can take a long time, depending on the number of contacts that need to be synchronized. You can follow up on the status on this page. When the initial synchronization is finished, the integration is fully functional and ready to be used.
Keeping the e-mail marketing tool in sync
Ticketmatic provides a 2-way sync between the e-mail marketing subscribers and the Ticketmatic Contacts by constantly notifying the other system of every change. In normal operation, nothing needs to be done to keep the systems in sync. Short outages of the e-mail marketing tool will be handled gracefully by Ticketmatic by retrying the failed notifications.
However, it is possible that prolonged outages or bugs or other problems cause the systems to become out of sync. In that case, it is possible to bring the systems back in sync by performing a full sync. Simply press the full sync button on the Settings -> e-mail marketing page to start this. In case of a full sync, the Ticketmatic Contacts database will always be considered the master database, and the Subscribers in the e-mail marketing tool will be modified in order to bring them in sync with the Ticketmatic Contacts.
After your first campaign is sent, the contact detail page will list the campaign name that was sent (in Ticketmatic this is called a communication). It’s possible that a new campaign only appears on this page a couple of hours after the campaign is sent.
Ticketmatic does not support synchronizing historical campaigns.
Using the e-mail integration from Ticketmatic
Once the integration is set up correctly, you can use Ticketmatic to subscribe/unsubscribe contacts to the list and to send e-mails to custom selections of contacts.
Subscribing and unsubscribing contacts
Every contact in Ticketmatic can be subscribed to e-mail marketing. You can see if a contact is subscribed by going to the detail view of a contact.
When you edit a contact you can change the subscription in the checkbox below the email address.
You can also (un)subscribe a set of contacts:
- Go to the contacts overview.
- Make a selection of the contacts you want to (un)subscribe.
- Go to Actions and select “Subscribe to e-mail marketing” or “Unsubscribe from e-mail marketing”.
- Wait untill the process completes.
- If you want you can now verify if the contacts are (un)subscribed in the (external) e-mail marketing tool.
If you want to send a campaign to all contacts that attended a specific event, this can be achieved by making the selection inside Ticketmatic and sending it to the external e-mail marketing tool. As the external e-mail marketing tool has only limited information about subscribed contacts, you will be unable to make this selection there. Ticketmatic allows you to create this selection inside Ticketmatic and send the selected contacts to the e-mail marketing tool.
The actual e-mails are sent via the external e-mail marketing tool. Check the documentation of the e-mail marketing tool for more information about sending e-mails and campaigns.
To achieve this, execute the following steps:
- Go to the contacts overview.
- Select the contacts you want to send to the external e-mail marketing tool.
- Go to Actions and select “Send selection to e-mail marketing tool”.
- Fill in a meaningfull selection name and press apply.
- Wait untill the process completes.
- Your selection should now be present in the external e-mail marketing tool. How your selection is stored inside the external e-mail marketing tool depends on the tool.
- Open the list that is synchronized with Ticketmatic.
- Click on Manage subscribers -> Segments. Here you will see a list of segments that have been created. You should see the same name as you entered in Ticketmatic in the list of segments.
- You can see the subscribers which are part of the segment by clicking on the segment.
Ticketmatic keeps track of all the communications that have been sent to your contacts. When you view the details of the contact the sent communications will be listed on the right side of the screen, together with other orders and/or remarks.